Badges 'n Buttons

Photobucket
Pagan Blog Project 2012
The Secret Life of the American Working Witch
ThePaganMomBlog

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Pagan Blog Project Week 4: B is for Brighid

Posted by Tala Friday, March 2, 2012

Ugh.  I know this is ridiculously late but one again, I'm trying to get caught up on my PBP blogs.

The topic I have chosen should come as no surprise to those who know me as 1: Brighid is my matron Goddess and 2: The 2nd week of the B's came right before Imbolc, Brighid's sacred day.  At this point, Imbolc has already happened and, unfortunately,  I wasn't really able to do much of anything to honor her except to pray.  Many of my Pagan items ended up getting left behind when we moved (along with many other things).  I had no candles to light (which also doesn't help when my day for Flamekeeping comes up) and nothing to really work with.

What I did, however, even if it wasn't much, I found myself remembering when Brighid first made me aware of Her call.  I'd known of her for several years and she has long been one of my most favorite deities. However, I had many years where, though I had several that I favored, I did not feel that call that beckoned me to dedicate to any one particular deity.  A little more than a year ago I was working at a call center.  I'd brought my MP3 player to work with me so I could listen to it on my breaks.  I was trying to get into a habit of meditation which, admittedly, has yet to really take. 

I was listening to one of my most favorite chats, "The Earth The Air The Fire The Water" by Libana on one of my breaks.  When I closed my eyes to meditate, it didn't take long for images to present themselves.

Here's what I originally wrote about it in my LJ:

I bring my MP3 player to work with me for [meditation].  The day before yesterday I meditated here for the first time.  I put my headphones in and put my favorite chant on repeat (the one that I posted a video for the other day).

Whenever I hear this chant
[the chant by Libana that I mentioned earlier], it evokes images of a misty, magickal forest to me.  Almost like what you'd see in the wilds of Washington state.  Leafy greens, ferns, and moss everywhere.  Everything the eye meets is lush and green.  The mist that rolls silently through the trees have a vivid energy of mystery, if that makes any sense.

So when I started to meditate with this music, I went with it.  I explored this lush forest, just reveling in the peace.  I could feel the moss and grass beneath my bare feet.  I wanted to dig my toes down into the soil.  I remember passing through the trees, touching every tree that I passed and it almost felt like they returned my greetings.

Then a surprise was waiting for me.

Now, before I go further, I need to make it clear that I've been thinking of the goddess, Brighid, a lot lately.  She's been one of my most favorite goddesses, but it's only been recent that I've started to feel this pull from her.

So in my meditation, as I was going just to see what I could find,  I unexpectedly came upon a woman waiting for me at a little creek that wound its way through the trees.  She was standing in the water and she beckoned me to her.  She had long, curly hair the color of flames that reached down to her waist.  She was dressed in a simple white dress that reached down to her shins, if I recall correctly.

Even as I meditated, I could feel goosebumps raise on my body and I didn't need to be told who this woman was supposed to be.  Brighid.  No words were spoken between us.  She merely took me by the hand and showed me things in the forest.  I don't remember much past this.  I could only focus on her.  Her warmth, and the love and kindness that radiated from her.

When my meditation ended, I remember feeling the expectation from her that I should visit her again soon.

Ever since then, i have been wanting to learn more about Brighid.  Though she is one of my favorite goddesses, I really don't know much about her.  I know what things she represents, how she was made a Catholic saint, etc.  But that was about it. 

I started looking up things about her yesterday on one of my breaks, but I still need to read more.  One thing that I did find interesting was that  she has a thing with rivers and streams.  I need to find this tidbit again, but it mentioned something concerning her that had to do with the rivers of the Underworld.  *facepalm*  I feel so idiotic for not remembering better.  But it struck me when I read that part because it was a stream where Brighid met me in my meditation.  It felt like a confirmation that I wasn't just daydreaming or making anything up.

It brought me comfort at that.


That still remains a very profound memory/meditation for me.  I know that how I'd written it out wasn't exactly the most eloquent.  Some of it was just really hard to put into words.

0 comments

Post a Comment

About Me

My Photo
Tala
I'm a Pagan college student, mother, and girlfriend studying to be a Paralegal. And somewhere in the midst of all this I somehow need to find the time to keep pursuing my goal to be a practicing Witch and not just a book-read one. Whew!
View my complete profile